What is the immune system?
The immune system is a complex mechanism in our body that helps protect us from ailments like colds or flu and other invaders. When our immune system is performing properly, it has the ability to guard us against these pathogens.
A strong and healthy immune system is able to fight back invaders by initiating a full-on counter attack - also known as an immune system response - against pathogens that can be toxic to our overall health. A high-functioning immune system also produces the right type of immune cells our body needs to respond naturally to millions of bacteria, microbes, viruses, toxins, and parasites.
The age factor
After our immune system reaches its peak in our teenage years, advancing age can reduce our ability to cope with these infectious agents.
The immune system can be further weakened or compromised by other factors as well.
Poor Life Choices
Poor choices like:
- Smoking Irregular or non-nutritious eating habits
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Poor sleep habits
- Lack of exercise
- ....and many other factors
…all have a serious adverse effect on our overall immune system function and health.
Additionally, challenges like anxiety, stress, or the presence of diseases can prevent our immune system from functioning at its peak.
This leaves us vulnerable and can result in long-term problems. Over time, if the immune system remains out of balance, diseases will occur.
For optimal health, it’s important to create a powerful immune boosting program that ensures our body is getting the support it needs.
Weakened Immune System
It can be difficult to spot if you have a weakened immune system, however, there may be subtle (and not so subtle) signs that your immune system is in trouble.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, you may have a weakened immune system:
- Do you seem to catch colds or the flu frequently?
- Do you experience frequent yeast and urinary tract infections (UTIs)?
- Do you experience allergies?
- Does it take your injuries and cuts a long time to heal?
- Do you feel fatigued and tired most of the time?
If you read over the list above and thought, “Oh, no! I have most of these symptoms!” don’t despair. There are plenty of positive changes you can make to your daily routine to boost your immune system and start the healing process.
Implementing only a few simple changes can produce transformative results.
Natural Immune System Boosters
There are many ways to restore your immune balance and strengthen your immune system naturally.
Living a healthy lifestyle and making positive choices helps you resist infection and other diseases. This is achieved by increasing your body's ability to protect itself.
Try these five simple tasks to strengthen your immune system naturally and help your body protect and heal itself:
1. Engage in regular exercise
– Exercise reduces daily stress while also physically strengthening your body to improve general well-being. Aim for a minimum of 20 minutes of moderate (or 10 minutes of vigorous) aerobic activity per day. Also, engage in whole body strength training exercises at least twice a week.
2. Get enough rest
– When you sleep, your body works to defend itself, repair damage, and reinforce immune system health. Experts now recommend 8 hours of sleep per night for optimal health. Unfortunately, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes, “About 1 in 3 (an estimated 83 million) U.S. adults reported usually sleeping less than 7 hours in a 24-hour period.” Don’t be part of that sobering statistic. Make changes now to get your sleep back on track.
3. Make healthy food substitutions
– To further optimize your immune system function, minimize intake of sugar, saturated fat, and alcohol. Exchange these substances with the important minerals and nutrients found in fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole-grain foods.
4. Stay hydrated
– Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins. Experts recommend drinking between 50-75% of your body’s weight in ounces of water per day. If you’re somewhat inactive, aim for 50%, if you’re highly active, aim for 75%.
– Incorporating vitamins and antioxidants to your diet like vitamin C and beta-carotene can help strengthen the immune system. Immunophen™ is an additional dietary supplement and botanical extract formulated for optimal immune system support.