This common fungus grows both as yeast and filamentous cells in 80% of the human population generally without causing harmful effects. However, when the immune system is compromised by stress, a virus, lack of sleep, poor health habits and certain medications it can overgrow. It is commonly seen as oral thrush which causes discomfort, pain, and difficulties eating. It is also responsible for vaginal yeast infections. A systemic overgrowth of Candida Albicans results in Candidiasis. There are many medications available to treat the symptoms of Candida overgrowth; however they do not prevent their reoccurrence. Getting long-term relief requires a more holistic treatment of candidiasis that targets the origin of the symptoms. This means helping your body control candida growth at the source.
Signs Of Candida Overgrowth
How do you know if Candida is to blame for your symptoms such as recurring yeast infections or oral thrush? Unfortunately you often don't know for sure. However, if you are suffering from some of the following symptoms, and nothing else you've tried seems to help, there's a fair chance Candida is harming your immune system:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Food allergies
- Chronic fatigue
- Yeast infections
- Weight gain
Natural Remedies for Candida Overgrowth and Yeast Infections
- Eat the best diet for you. We have compiled some recommendations about healthy diets to promote and maintain a healthy immune system as well as foods naturally rich in nutrients to help you boost your immune system naturally.
- Exercise offers more health benefits than pure fitness and helps you maintain a strong and healthy body inside and out.
- Avoid exposure to chemicals and medications such as antibiotics, corticosteroids and birth control pills. If you need to take those medications try to counter balance the effects with pro-biotic food and supplements.
Candida can actually burrow into your intestinal wall creating tiny gaps in your membrane lining. What happens when you have gaps in your intestinal wall? Yeast produces 180 toxic by-products, all of which can leave your digestive system and enter your bloodstream where they are delivered throughout your entire body. Partially digested food particles also go along with them. This "leaky gut syndrome" can pave the way for a host of illnesses that compromise your immune system:
- Bladder infections
- Food cravings (especially for carbohydrates, yeast's favorite food)
- Liver overload as it tries to deal with all these toxins
- Decreased thyroid function and metabolism because the liver is busy elsewhere
- Tremendous fluid retention to try to dilute the toxins
- Fat cells swelling as they trap toxins to try and protect the rest of the body
- Gas from yeast due to its normal metabolic functions
- Toxins that block thyroid hormone function
- Hormonal imbalance on all levels known as pseudohormones (false hormones) caused by environmental chemicals blocking receptor sites
- The stress of toxins, weight, and feeling awful create excessive release of cortisol, the chronic stress hormone, which has an added negative effect of making it nearly impossible to lose weight
Oral Candida causes creamy white patches in your mouth, tongue and throat. These lesions are raised and appear in streaks becoming painful and raw. They make eating and swallowing difficult. It can even cause cracks at the corners of the lips. Also known as oral thrush, oral Candida is most common in people with compromised immune systems. Thrush can also occur in newborns, in people with dentures, and in those who use inhaled corticosteroids. Candida overgrowth can also spread to your esophagus where it can cause pain and difficulty swallowing.
What Is Oral Candidiasis?
Belonging to a family of yeast called Candida albicans, the culprit fungus is normally a harmless part of our body. However, Candida cells grow rapidly and over consumption of processed foods and sugar, certain prescription drugs that cause dry mouth and illnesses such as diabetes can easily usher in yeast overgrowth. The body has a natural controlling mechanism – the immune system – that, in most cases, prevents Candidiasis from happening in the first place. Good flora refers to a collection of microorganisms that live in the body and whose job it is to control other organisms from spreading. When the good flora is unable to control Candida fungus, a yeast infection develops. What prevents the good flora from controlling the fungus? – A weakened immune system. The immune system becomes weak by internal and external factors such as:
- Taking cortisone medication
- Chronic illness
- A course of antibiotics – especially when taken for lengthy periods
- Digestive medications which reduce the acidity of the stomach
- Oral contraceptives or HRT
- A diet lacking soluble fibre and high in refined starches and sugar
For Quick Relief of Oral Candidiasis
- Chew a garlic clove moving it around your mouth
- Simmer garlic cloves in a cup of water, strain, cool the liquid and gargle with it
- Cut raw ginger into pieces and simmer in two cups of water over low heat for fifteen minutes. Gargle with the cooled liquid and swish around your mouth
- Gargle with tea tree oil in a glass of cold water but do not swallow
- Hold a teaspoon of plain yogurt in your mouth for a minute then swallow
- Drink mint tea or chew a mint leaf after eating
- Buy a new toothbrush and a natural toothpaste containing baking soda
- Eat the best diet – one that is rich in meats, chicken, eggs, vegetables, nuts and seeds, and healthy oils – eliminate sugars and carbohydrate-rich foods
- Exercise regularly
- Increase probiotics – the good bacteria – to help control the proliferation of Candida
- Where possible avoid certain medications – antibiotics, corticosteroids, and birth control pills
- Avoid exposure to chemicals
While Getting The Candida Under Control
Because yeast multiplies so quickly, it’s necessary to restrict not only sugar and refined carbs in your diet, but also all yeast and mold containing foods including:
- Vinegar and vinegar-containing foods like mustard and salad dressing
- Carrots, potatoes and beets – the high-sugar veggies
- Fruits – high in sugar
- Peanuts and corn which often contain mold
- Mushrooms (fungus)
- Aged cheeses
Getting To The Root Cause
These remedies kill off the fungal spores they come in contact with but they don't tackle the underlying problem. The result is that there is temporary relief and that is good but it's not long before more yeast fungus takes over and your oral yeast infection returns. This is why it is crucial to keep your immune system healthy. Once your immune system is strong it automatically keeps the Candida fungus under control. With a well-balanced immune system oral Candidiasis is held naturally in check.
Through research, Pine Cone Extract (PCE) has shown to strengthen the body's immune system by enhancing the performance of immune cell function. This is critical to a healthy immune response, helping combat various ailments such as candida.
Immunophen™ is an all natural dietary supplement designed by Cellderm Technologies Inc. Immunophen™ is the only dietary supplement containing LignaPlex™, a highly purified, standardized botanical extract derived from scots pine cones that is designed to enhance your immune system naturally.