IT’S ONLY WATER – part two
• Maintains a healthy body weight
• Helps properly digest food and absorb nutrients from food
• Healthy, glowing skin
• Decreased muscle and joint inflammation
• Better circulation
• Detoxify your body naturally
There is a silent and growing epidemic of chronic dehydration. Many suffer from it yet are simply unaware of the symptoms:
- Dry skin
- Dark coloured urine
- Digestive disturbances such as heartburn and constipation
- Urinary tract infections
- Autoimmune disease such as chronic fatigue syndrome and multiple sclerosis
- Premature aging
- High cholesterol
- Weight gain
Filtering Your Water
For most of us finding local mountain spring water is not an option. Although it can be purchased at www.mountainspringwaterco.com in Vancouver. Or Google ‘mountain spring water’ in your area. The next best and environmentally sound choice is to purchase and install a water filter for your home. There are three different types of water filters:
- Reverse Osmosis Filter. In addition to removing chlorine, inorganic, and organic contaminants in your water, a Reverse Osmosis filter will also remove about 80 percent of the fluoride and most DPBs. The major drawback is the expense of installing a Reverse Osmosis filter as most need a plumber to get up and running
- Ion Exchange Filter. Ion exchange is designed to remove dissolved salts in the water such as calcium. This system actually softens the water or exchanges natural-forming mineral ions in the water with its own ions thereby neutralizing their harmful effect of creating scale build-up. The ion exchange system was originally used in boilers and other industrial situations before becoming popular in home purifying units which usually combine the system with carbon for greater effectiveness
- Granular Carbon and Carbon Block Filters. These are the most common types of counter top and under counter water filters. Granular carbon filters and carbon block systems perform the same process of contaminant removal by chemically or physically bonding a contaminant to the surface of the filter media. Granular activated carbon is recognized as the best available technology for the removal of organic chemicals like herbicides, pesticides and industrial chemicals. However, one of the downfalls of granular carbon filters is that the water can create pathways through the carbon material and thus escape filtering. Carbon block filters offer the same superior filtering ability but are compressed in a solid form. This eliminates channeling and allows multiple types of filter material in a sub-micron filter cartridge. By combining different media, the ability to selectively remove a wide range of contaminants can be achieved
Just the simple act of showering in chemically treated water in which both your skin and lungs are exposed may pose a significant health risk to you—and to your unborn child if you are pregnant. Numerous studies have shown that showering and bathing are important routes of exposure and may actually expose you to more chemical toxins than the water you drink. A simple carbon shower filter changed once or twice a year offers very good protection.
How Much Pure Filtered Or Spring Water Should You Drink Per Day?
You should be drinking enough water to turn your urine a light-coloured yellow. If you are outside on a hot day or engaging in strenuous activity it is advisable to increase your water intake as needed. It is also important to note that as you age your thirst mechanism works less efficiently. Older adults need to pay more attention to the colour of their urine to see if their water intake is adequate. Finally, the extensively researched and fascinating book, Your Body's Many Cries for Water by Fereydoon Batmanqhelidj M. D. is available at http://www.amazon.ca/Your-Bodys-Many-Cries-Water/dp/0962994235 It should be required reading for all of us.