News

IT’S ONLY WATER – part one

Here are the many different types of water available to us. In part two of this blog about water we will examine ways to make the most informed choices about the water we drink – and the water we shower in. 


Unfiltered Water From The Tap

Surely the most accessible of all water and absolutely safe to drink provided you check with your local water treatment agency to see if any of the following are added to your drinking water supply:

  • Chlorine is the only disinfectant that has been extensively studied and considered safe within certain limits. The problem is that chlorine and other water treatment chemicals, in addition to being somewhat toxic in and of themselves, react with ordinary organic particles in the water (manure from livestock, dead animals, fallen leaves, etc.) to create hundreds of extremely toxic byproducts which aren’t monitored or regulated
  • These days, instead of chlorine, many water treatment plants are using a disinfectant called chloramine – the health effects of which are largely unknown. Chloramine is a combination of chlorine and ammonia. Chloramine stays in the water system longer than chlorine and is difficult to remove – it can’t be removed by boiling, distilling, or by standing uncovered. Its vapors can accumulate in indoor air and concentrate in an enclosed area such as your shower stall, bathroom, kitchen or apartment
  • Chloramines are known to combine with organic matter in water supplies to create iodoacids and nitrosamines that are extremely toxic. Nitrosamines are the same compounds as in those nitrite-cured hot dogs. They are about a thousand times more carcinogenic than the disinfection byproducts of regular chlorine


How About Bottled Water Then

We are frequently misled into thinking bottled water is safer than tap water but sometimes it’s even more contaminated as bottled water is less regulated than tap water. Studies reveal that about 40 percent of bottled water is actually tap water – possibly with no additional filtering. In fact, most municipal tap water must adhere to stricter purity standards than the bottled water industry. In addition the plastic often used to make water bottles contains a variety of health-harming chemicals that can easily leach out and contaminate your water such as:

  • PFOA persists indefinitely in the environment. It is a toxicant and carcinogen in animals. PFOA has been detected in the blood of more than 98% of the general population in the low and sub-parts per billion range. Exposure has been associated with increased cholesterol and uric acid levels and recently higher serum levels of PFOA were found to be associated with increased risk of chronic kidney disease
  • PBDEs (flame retardant chemicals) have been linked to reproductive problems and altered thyroid levels
  • The toxic phthalates used to soften the plastic are linked to breast cancer among other diseases
  • BPA disrupts the endocrine system by mimicking the female hormone estrogen
And if you leave your water bottle in a hot car, or reuse it, your exposure is magnified because heat and stress increase the amount of chemicals that leach out of the plastic. So the container your water comes in needs to receive just as much attention as the water itself and plastic is simply not a wise choice from a health perspective. Plus disposable plastic water bottles are polluting our planet. According to the Container Recycling Institute, in the US alone more than 67 million plastic water bottles are discarded each day adding to an enormous plastic garbage dump swirling around in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. 


Distilled Water

Distillation is the process in which water is boiled, evaporated and the vapour condensed. Distilled water is free of dissolved minerals and because of this has the special property of being able to actively absorb toxic substances from the body and eliminate them. Studies validate the benefits of drinking distilled water when seeking to cleanse or detoxify the system for short periods of time (a few weeks at a time). Fasting using distilled water can be dangerous because of the rapid loss of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride) and trace minerals like magnesium, deficiencies of which can cause heart beat irregularities and high blood pressure. Cooking foods in distilled water pulls the minerals out of them and lowers their nutrient value. To read more click here 
http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-2h.shtml

 

Spring Water

The finest sources of water in the world are gravity-fed mountain springs accessed directly where they emerge from the earth. This water is naturally filtered and structured by the earth itself and even contains beneficial living organisms like certain types of algae. The ideal pH of your water should be between 6.5 to 7.5 as that is considered neutral. Mountain spring water is in this ideal range. It is some of the healthiest water on the planet because it is living water. If you're up to the task you can collect your own spring water to meet your drinking water needs. Typically, natural springs are monitored for contaminants by local municipalities and most of these springs are free. There's a website called http://www.findaspring.com/ where you can find natural springs in your area. 


Alkaline Water

This is water that has been processed through a water ionizer. Many individuals have stomach dysfunctions like GERD or ulcers that are largely related to having too little stomach acid. Long-term use of alkaline or ionized water can interfere with your body's natural digestive process by reducing the acid needed to properly break down and absorb food. This could then lead to an upset of your body's good bacteria that can then open the door to parasitic infection, ulcers and malabsorption.