Apple Cider Vinegar: A Must-Have Remedy To Have In Your Home
Who doesn’t love a good multi-functioning product? Did you know that there’s an inexpensive product out there that can clean your kitchen, add flavour to your meals, cure a cold, and give you shiny hair?
Apple cider vinegar is one of my favourite multi-purpose products. It’s an essential part of my home and can easily and safely replace many products in your home that might be full of harmful chemicals!
When purchasing apple cider vinegar, be sure to look for raw and organic versions that contain “the mother.” This means that all of the beneficial, live bacteria and yeast are still in the bottle, and this is what you want!
You may notice brown sediment or stringy bits in your apple cider vinegar, which is also normal and healthy – this is the bacteria and yeast! I like to store my apple cider vinegar in the fridge to slow down the growth of these yeasts (although it’s safe to store in your cupboard as well).
Below are 6 ways that you can incorporate apple cider vinegar into your life and reap its many benefits!
1. Give your digestion a boost. Drinking about 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water 5 minutes before a meal is an excellent way to improve digestion and help prevent acid reflux. Apple cider vinegar can give your own digestive juices a boost, and provide beneficial probiotics and enzymes that improve digestion and nutrient absorption.
2. Make healthy, delicious salad dressings. Apple cider vinegar is a healthy alternative to other vinegars in salad dressing recipes, providing probiotics and great flavour. My favourite dressing is a mix of apple cider vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, and Dijon mustard. All you have to do is shake them in a jar and enjoy a healthy, homemade salad dressing and avoid the nasty ingredients that can be in store bought versions!
3. Use as a hair rinse to add shine. The pH of apple cider vinegar makes a great hair conditioner that adds shine to your hair. To use, all you have to do is mix about 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water and pour over your hair after shampooing. Rinse with cool water – don’t worry, the smell goes away completely after your hair has dried! You can do this a couple times per week, or whenever your hair looks a bit dull.
4. Improve the balance of your microbiome. Not only is apple cider vinegar rich in healthy probiotics, it also contains acetic acid. Acetic acid can kill “bad” bacteria in the body while supporting the good ones. It can also help reduce candida overgrowth.
5. Stop a cold in its tracks. Apple cider vinegar is my go-to remedy when I feel a tickle in my throat or other symptoms of a cold coming on. Its vitamin, probiotic, and acetic acid content is an effective way to boost the immune system. At the first sign of a cold, I add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a small glass of water, plug my nose, and shoot it back. I repeat this a couple times per day. I’ve effectively stopped colds this way multiple times.
6. Keep your home clean and fresh. To make a safe, natural, multipurpose cleaner, fill a spray bottle with about 50% apple cider vinegar, and 50% water. Apple cider vinegar’s natural anti-bacterial properties make it great for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom, as well as giving you streak-free mirrors. The smell of the vinegar dissipates when it dries and helps eliminate odours, but you can also add a few drops of essential oils for scent and extra cleaning power.
I truly consider apple cider vinegar a must-have product in a healthy home. If you’re looking for simple ways to improve your health and reduce your exposure to toxins in your home, apple cider vinegar is a perfect tool to add to your toolkit.
By: Ali MacBoudreau
Ali is a Certified Holistic Nutrition Consultant. Her mission is to help you discover just how vibrant and amazing you can feel, by giving you the tools you need to make lasting changes. (Hint, it involves delicious food!) To learn more about Ali and holistic nutrition please visit her website https://www.holisticali.com/about